Lady Panther swimmer Caitlyn Miner had a weekend to remember at the Powell Aquatic Center, cementing her name on the Hall of Fame board in a pair of events as the Powell High School girls’ …
Lady Panther swimmer Caitlyn Miner had a weekend to remember at the Powell Aquatic Center, cementing her name on the Hall of Fame board in a pair of events as the Powell High School girls’ swimming and diving team placed second at the Gene Dozah Invitational.
“Caitlyn Miner made a strong statement as one of the top swimmers in school history,” said PHS head coach Bob Smartt.
Miner’s time of 2:20.65 in the 200 IM placed her third on the HOF board while finishing runner-up to defending state champion Juli Warren of Worland, with just 0.38 seconds separating the two. Miner’s commanding win in the 100 freestyle, with a time of 56.05, also placed her third on the HOF board.
The Lady Panthers’ 258-point, second-place performance in the seven-school event was a marked improvement over last year’s fourth-place finish. Lander took the top spot with 268 points, just 10 ahead of Powell.
“We were pleased to finish second position in the team score behind Lander,” Smartt said. “However, we did have five athletes who used advanced swimsuit technology in order to obtain state cuts, which is a significant mitigating factor.”
Buffalo placed third in the event with 240 points.
“After two meet losses to Buffalo, it was nice to outpoint them 258 to 240,” Smartt said. “However, the entire margin was provided by our divers who scored 30 points, an event with no Buffalo contestants.”
Ten Panthers recorded state-qualifying performances in 15 races, with the team earning 22 personal best times at the meet.
In the 500 freestyle, Lady Panther Addison Morretti took third place while finishing just 0.02 seconds behind Cody’s Marissa Rosenbaum, last year’s bronze medalist at state. Moretti also finished second in the 200 free in 2:15.03 and earned another state cut by leading off the 400 free relay in a personal-best time of 1:02.20.
Other Lady Panthers who earned state cuts in multiple events included Elizabeth Liggett (200 IM and 500 free), Anna Fuller (200 IM and 100 breast) Katrina Twitchell (50 and 100 free), Sidney O’Brien (50 free and 100 back) and Ashlyn Aguirre (100 fly and 100 back).
Miner’s two HOF times on Saturday gave the senior five individual performances on the HOF board, tied with Amanda Tracy for the second-most for a Lady Panther swimmer. Last season, Miner broke school records in the 50 free, 100 breaststroke and 200 medley relay. She trails only Renee Johnson (who has seven) for the most individual performances on the record board.
“Miner’s achievement is magnified by the fact that she is not a year around club swimmer,” Smartt said. “She participates in track and field in the spring and has other activities in the off-season.”
The Lady Panthers host Worland in a dual meet Thursday at the PAC.
Powell finishes 2-1 at Worland Quad
The Lady Panthers traveled to Worland Friday for a Quad against Worland, Buffalo and Newcastle. The event was structured as a series of dual meets, with Powell earning wins against Worland (101-85) and Newcastle (130-32), but falling to Buffalo 96-87.
Seven Lady Panthers posted state-qualifying times in the event, including Liggett in the 200 freestyle, Moretti in the 200 IM, Miner, Emma Karhu and Maddi Hackenberg in diving, O’Brien in the 100 freestyle and Miner in the 500 freestyle.
“The highlight for the Panthers was the state-qualifying performance by sophomore Maddi Hackenberg,” Smartt said. “Last year she achieved her state cut one week before state, so it is good to see her diving well early in the season.”
The team was led by two athletes who each had a pair of second-place finishes: Moretti in the 200 IM and the 100 backstroke and Miner in diving and the 500 freestyle.
The Lady Panthers finished with 19 personal-best performances.
200 Medley Relay
4. Sidney O’Brien, Anna Fuller, Ashlyn Aguirre, Katrina Twitchell 2:11.08, 14. Charlotte Wilson, Colette Sanders, KayCee Twitchell, Sarah Hampton 2:45.22
2. Addison Moretti 2:15.03, 22. Natalie Dillivan 3:23.52
2. Caitlyn Miner 2:20.65, 6. Elizabeth Liggett 2:37.29, 8. Anna Fuller 2:40.91
6. Madison Lowery 27.46, 7. Katrina Twitchell 27.88, 8. Sidney O’Brien 28.20, 13. Emma Karhu 29.55, 17. Delainey Rayment 31.24, 23. Colette Sanders 33.95, 24. Charlotte wilson 34.02, 34. Sarah Hampton 40.30, 38. Juanita Martinez 42.97, 41. Hannah Hawley 49.31
Girls 1 MTR Diving
3. Emma Karhu 174.00, 6. Maddi Hackenberg 152.10, 8. Delainey Rayment 115.45, 9. Taycee Walker 110.95, 10. Kylie Kahl 94.85
3. Ashlyn Aguirre 1:12.98, 11. Lauren Lejeune 1:23.19, 12. Grace Harder 1:25.58
1. Caitlyn Miner 56.05, 5. Katrina Twitchell 1:02.24, 34. Charlotte Wilson 1:20.96, 37. Natalie Dillivan 1:24.99, 41. Sarah Hampton 1:33.48, 43. Jaunita Martinez 1:37.57
3. Addison Moretti 6:08.47, 6. Elizabeth Liggett 6:21.31, 10. Grace Harder 6:53.78, 15. Dakota Hansen 7:22.82
200 Freestyle Relay
3. Katrina Twitchell, Caitlyn Miner, Anna Fuller, Addison Moretti 1:52.23, 12. Delainey Rayment, Dakota Hansen, Charlotte Wilson, Sarah Hampton 2:18.50, 16. Taycee Walker, Natalie Dillivan, Jaunita Martinez, Hanna Hawley 2:39.51
5. Sidney O’Brien 1:12.23, 7. Ashlyn Aguirre 1:12.48, 8. Madison Lowery 1:16.28, 13. Lauren Lejeune 1:22.72, 14. Kylie Kahl 1:23.53, 15. Maddi Hackenberg 1:24.56, 23. Katrina Twitchell 1:33.14
5. Anna Fuller 1:19.35, 21. Colette Sanders 1:39.97, 24. Hannah Hawley 2:14.85
400 Freestyle Relay
3. Addison Moretti, Caitlyn Miner, Elizabeth Liggett, Sidney O’Brien 4:05.94, 9. Ashlyn Aguirre, Dakota Hansen, Grace Harder, Lauren Lejeune 4:44.84