Ray Kenton McCullough


(Dec. 29, 2004)

Funeral services are scheduled Wednesday, Dec. 29 at 10 a.m. at the First United Methodist Church in Powell for Ray Kenton McCullough, 66, who died peacefully in his sleep Friday, Dec. 24 at his home in Powell.

He was born Dec. 3, 1938, on the family farm on the Willwood south of Powell, one of five children born to George and Helen McCullough.

He graduated from Powell High School in 1957. He served in the Army National Guard of Wyoming at Fort Lewis, Wash., and was honorably discharged in 1963 with the rank of Staff Sergeant.

He made his career in the oil patch with Texaco, working throughout the Rocky Mountain region until 1973 when he accepted a position as senior drilling supervisor with P.T. Caltex Pacific in Sumatra, Indonesia, to build a college fund for his two sons (or to hear him say it, "until I get my sock full, and my sock has two large holes.") His overseas assignment gave him the opportunity to travel and make friends around the world. He retired in 1989 and returned to Powell.

He was a firearms enthusiast without comparison, and he enjoyed hunting, fishing with his brother Meldon, endless summer yard work, poker nights, Jeopardy! and drinking coffee and solving the problems of the world at McCullough Peaks. Kenton had an infectious sense of humor and could tell a story like no one else. He was well-read and strong-willed, and he he had strong opinions that he was happy to share.

He was hard-working, honest and fair, and he kept his word. But most of all, he was devoted to his family, taking particular delight in his grandchildren. He will be remembered as a dedicated and loving father, grandfather, brother and friend.

Survivors include his sons, Travis of New York City, N.Y., and Tracy (Brenda) of Powell; three grandchildren, Stephanie, Sean and Sara, all of Powell; sister Virginia (Glen) Loomis of West Yellowstone, Mont.; and brothers Meldon and Gary, both of Powell.

He was preceded in death by his brother, Donald.

Visitation will be from 7 to 8:30 p.m. tonight (Tuesday) at Miratsky-Easton Funeral Home. Burial will be in Crown Hill Cemetery.