Michael Howard Hancock


(July 25, 2009)

Mike Hancock, 46, died July 25 in Westminster, Colo. Mike, formerly of Buffalo, died after struggling with conflicting emotions following his return from active duty in Iraq.

Michael Howard Hancock and his twin brother, Bob, were born Feb. 18, 1963, in Powell, to Robert and Virginia Howard Hancock. He attended elementary schools in Powell; Anchorage, Alaska; New Orleans and Buffalo. He graduated from Buffalo High School in 1982.

In March 1983, Mike joined the U.S. Navy as a Seaman Apprentice, and during his 10 years of active duty and 11 years in the Navy Reserve, he advanced to Petty Officer First Class. During these same years, Mike traveled throughout the world — from Guam to Mombasa, Africa; from the Mediterranean Sea to Rio de Janeiro; from the Suez Canal to Sri Lanka. His final overseas deployment of nine months was a volunteer assignment to Iraq. He was proud of his service in the military.

Mike returned to civilian life in 1993, but remained in the Navy Reserve. At the time of his death, he was employed by D and D Metal Products in Broomfield, Colo.

He is survived by his parents; sisters Becky Seibel (Bruce) of Buffalo, Patty of Billings, Barbara Mahoney (Chuck) of Manhattan, Mont; brother Bob of Salt Lake City; and three nieces.

He was preceded in death by his grandparents, Bernice and Harold Howard of Ohio, and Elma and Bob Hancock of Buffalo; and his maternal uncle, Harold Howard Jr. of Ketchikan, Alaska.

Mike’s family remembers him as a wonderful person being who brought laughter, love and unforgettable fun and mischief into the lives of everyone who knew him. His dedication to the military service was second only to his dedication to family and friends. Mike played a key role in the lives of his three nieces

Funeral services will be held today (Thursday) at 10 a.m. at the Adams Funeral Home Chapel in Buffalo. Burial will be in Willow Grove Cemetery with the U.S. Naval Reserve in charge of military graveside rites. Donations may be made in Mike’s memory to the St. Francis Animal Shelter in Buffalo in care of the Adams Funeral Home.