James Neal Large


(April 28, 2004)

Funeral services for former superintendent of schools, J. Neal Large, were Monday morning, May 3 at the Union Presbyterian Church in Powell. Mr. Large, 82, Powell, died Wednesday, April 28 in Billings, Mont.

He was born March 6, 1922, in Birmingham, Ala., son of William Jefferson Large and Mabel Leigh (English) Large. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and married Janet Ruth Dunson in Traverse City, Mich., on Aug. 6, 1944.

He was an educator by profession, earning a master's degree in education. He served as superintendent of schools at Encampment, Lingle and then Powell. Previous to his appointment as superintendent at Powell, he was principal at Cheyenne Central High School. He became a principal again in two Alaskan schools after leaving Powell.

He and his wife Janet retired in Fraser Lake, British Columbia, Canada, in 1987. After her death, he returned to Powell. He enjoyed golf, fishing, smoking game animals and local activism. At one time, he was a founding team member of the Denver Nuggets basketball organization. He was also a founding member of the National Education Association and a fervent supporter of men's and women's athletics. He spent his later years enjoying his family and friends and smoking game/fish meats.

Survivors include two sons, James R. Large (Flora Isabel) of Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico, and Timothy Large (Janet) of Powell; one daughter, Pamela A. Large of Bellingham, Wash.; two brothers, Bill Large and Jack Large (Hazel); a sister, Helen Nelson; five grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Janet. Pastor David Hunter officiated at services and burial in Crown Hill Cemetery. Pallbearers at the funeral were Matt Elliott, Don Adams, Butch Hanson, Pam Large, Chris Large and John DeVoss. Honorary pallbearers included Lloyd Snider, Mert Rustad, Sherb Blake, Harold Robirds, Luther Sparks, Willard Large and Don Moewes.

For those who wish, the family would appreciate memorials to Rocky Mountain Cancer Center, Cody and Billings. Miratsky-Easton Funeral Home was in charge of arrangements.