Anthony S. ‘Doc’ Rogers


(May 25, 2010)

Anthony S. “Doc” Rogers died May 25, 2010, at Bonnie Bluejacket Nursing Home in Basin.

Tony was born Jan. 10, 1914, in Greeley, Colo., the fourth of seven children born to Anthony and Florence Rogers.

He completed his early education in Ft. Collins, Colo., and his older brother, Wilbur, encouraged him to follow in his footsteps and join the medical profession. Tony completed his medical education at the University of Colorado medical school in Denver.

On his walks to the college, he passed a house where Elizabeth “Betty” Wilson lived. She became his wife on Sept.15, 1937.

In 1939, after Tony graduated from college, they moved to Memphis, Tenn., where he did his residency at Baptist Memorial Hospital. The couple’s first two daughters were born in Memphis.

Tony enlisted in the Army Air Corps, and in 1943, he was sent to Europe to serve as a medic during World War II. While Tony was overseas, Betty and the children lived in Glenrock, where her parents resided. Tony was among the last troops to return to the states, and in 1945, he returned to a wife, two daughters and a 2-year-old son he had never seen.

He first started a practice in Lusk and then was recruited by Dave Lindsey to move to Greybull in 1947. He never moved again.

He retired for the first time in 1981, but he returned to work two more times because of a need for a physician in the community.

He had a great love for Greybull its residents. He tried to give back to the community and was involved in many projects through the years. He was involved with the cemetery board and helped to change the ground cover from sagebrush and rattlesnakes to grass and trees.

Tony was very involved with the hospital and nursing home construction, and was a supporter of the new swimming pool at the school and the Midway Golf Course. He used both frequently.

He was a longtime member of the First Baptist Church and a member of many local organizations. He served on the school board. He loved all kinds of sports and never tired of learning new things.

He was married to Betty for 62 years, and they had three daughters and a son.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Betty; his parents; three sisters, Phyllis, Florence and another who died in infancy; and his brothers, Wilbur and Winfield.

He is survived by his younger sister, Lucille Kennedy; his four children, Charlotte (Don), Annette, Steve (Cindy) and Serena (Ron); 13 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.

Funeral services will be held on Saturday, May 29, at 10 a.m. at the Atwood Family Chapel, 620 Greybull Avenue in Greybull. Burial will follow in the Donald J. Ruhl Memorial Cemetery in Greybull.

A memorial fund has been established in Tony’s name at Big Horn Federal Savings Bank, P.O. Box 471, Greybull, WY 82426 with proceeds to go to the South Big Horn County Critical Access Hospital and the Bonnie Bluejacket Memorial Nursing Home.

Atwood Family Funeral Directors, Inc. is in charge of arrangements.