Cloudy

27°F

Powell, WY

Cloudy
Wind: ENE at 7 mph

Fire guts vacant Garland house Saturday

The next morning Cory Baker (left) and Asst. Chief Damian Dicks of the Powell Volunteer Fire Department examine the blackened hulk following the house fire in Garland Saturday night. The next morning Cory Baker (left) and Asst. Chief Damian Dicks of the Powell Volunteer Fire Department examine the blackened hulk following the house fire in Garland Saturday night. Tribune photo by Gib Mathers

A wood stove malfunction is the suspected cause of a fire that gutted an unoccupied home behind the ADM plant in Garland Saturday night.

“We’re pretty certain he had a wood burning stove that was the culprit,” said Asst. Chief Damian Dicks of the Powell Volunteer Fire Department. The house was completely engulfed before the owners realized it.

“There was no saving it,” Dicks said.

No one lived in the house. “They lived in the trailer behind it,” Dicks said. According to MapServer from Park County, the home on Road 4 is owned by Owen and Sally Bennet.

It was used as a hobby and pump house. It had no electricity except an extension cord powering the pump. Firefighters’ immediate concern was protecting the mobile home and garage adjacent to the house from the flames, as well as a propane tank and cottonwood trees nearby, Dicks said.

It was impossible to save the house, but they were able to save the pump, Dicks said.

Share this post on:

Submit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

Leave a comment

The Powell Tribune reserves the right to remove inappropriate comments.
Fields marked (*) are required.

Subscribe

Get all the latest Powell news by subscribing to the Powell Tribune today!

Click here to find out more!

E-Edition

Our paper can be delivered right to your e-mail inbox with a subscription to the Powell Tribune!

Find out more here!

Stay Connected

Keep up with Powell news by liking us on Facebook or following us on Twitter.

Go to top