The eighth annual Powell Aquatic Center Triathlon enjoyed a rare break from this Spring’s soggy weather Saturday, as 31 soloists and seven teams tested themselves in the state’s first …
The eighth annual Powell Aquatic Center Triathlon enjoyed a rare break from this Spring’s soggy weather Saturday, as 31 soloists and seven teams tested themselves in the state’s first triathlon of the season.
‘We were completely blessed with the most perfect day,” said race director Tanya Bonner. “I was a little worried when my course markings washed away late Friday. Thankfully, I was able to re-mark the course early Saturday.”
This year’s race began by swimming 20 lengths of the PAC’s pool, totaling 500 yards, before transitioning to the bicycle stage, located by the Parks Department building. From there, riders pedaled along East Seventh Street, went north on Road 8, west again on Lane 8 and turned north onto Elk Basin Highway before reaching the turnaround and making their way back — totaling 15.5 miles.
Upon returning back to the transition station, the bikes were abondoned and the final leg of the race began: a 5K run down West Seventh Street to Grand Street and back.
As has become customary, competitors ranged in age from still in their teens to their 60s. Registrations were up from last year’s event, with triathletes from from Casper, Lander, Gillette, Greybull, Sheridan, Buffalo, Roberts, Billings, Missoula, Lovell, Deaver, Cody and Powell competing.
“People seem to have a lot of fun, and it just makes my day knowing I’ve made someone else’s day, or helped them achieve their very first triathalon,” said Bonner, who, along with teammates Robin Nichols and Ben Zeller, finished first among the coed teams with a time of 1:22.49. “People were very complimentary about the event, very low key. The focus is having fun.”
Buffalo’s Dustin Smith posted the fastest time of the event among the soloists and overall, posting a blistering 1:06.50 to finish first in the men’s 31-35 division. Nora Hutchinson paced the women soloists with a time of 1:26.01, claiming the top spot in the women’s 26-30 category. Rachael Esh and Lindsay Parish took second and third, respectively.
Also in the women’s solo category, Kayla Mershen took the top spot in the 31-35 division, followed by Ashley Cooper in second place and Angela Brugger in third.
Lindsay Kindelman Lande was first in the 36-40 division, Jeanna Merritt took gold in 41-45 and Cindy Phillips was tops in the 46-50 division.
For the men, Adam Williams took gold in the 20 and under division, Mitch Svaty was first in 21-30 and Daniel Lande from Missoula claimed the top spot in the 36-40 division.
Oliver Mitchell was tops in 41-45, Tim Baxter was first in 46-50 and Tom Holt won 51-55. John Housel rounded out the men’s soloists with gold in the 60+ division.
The women’s team of Sadie Allen, Ashley Johnson and Terra Dickerson took the top spot with a time of 1:46.51, while the men’s team of Ladell Merritt and Daniel Merritt took first with a time of 1:11.53.
1. Nora Hutchinson 1:26.01, 2. Rachael Esh 1:34.34, 3. Lindsay Parish 1:36.40
1. Kayla Mershen 1:38.28, 2. Ashley Cooper 1:39.47, 3. Angela Brugger 1:47.47
1. Lindsay Kindelman Lande 1:28.13, Beth Guenther 1:43.36, 3. Kristin Thompson 1:51.05
1. Jeanna Merritt 1:28.20, 2. Sonja Brue 1:50.46
1. Cindy Phillips 1:42.08, 2. Heather Solomon 1:55.47
Men’s 20 and under
1. Adam Williams 1:20.42
1. Mitch Svaty 1:15.42, 2. Orin Hutchinson 1:25.08, 3. Michael Gutierrez 1:32.29
1. Dustin Smith 1:06.50, 2. Caleb Lande 1:15.12, 3. KC Fiedler 1:22.12, 4. Timm Cooper 1:43.11
1. Daniel Lande 1:40.55
1. Oliver Mitchell 1:30.43
1. Tim Baxter 1:25.40
1. Tom Holt 1:18.57, 2. Steve Unsworth 1:27.03
1. Steve Henley 1:34.55, 2. Warren Solomon 1:42.30
1. John Housel 1:35.37, 2. Les Benner 1:37.11, 3. Jerry Rodriguez 1:41.02
1. Sadie Allen, Ashley Johnson, Terra Dickerson 1:46.51, 2. Sarah Aksamit, Brianna Krook, Haley King 1:52.29
1. Tanya Bonner, Robin Nichols, Ben Zeller 1:22.49, 2. Ben Zeller, Daniel Zeller, Molly Zeller 1:22.56, 3. Tim Brugger, Aaron Brugger, Laine Parish 1:26.50
1. Ladell Merritt, Daniel Merritt 1:11.53, 2. Dave Blevins, Toby Bonner 2:01.14