The Northwest College rodeo team opened the spring portion of its season at Montana State University in Bozeman April 12-15. The men’s team won the first of two rodeos, but finished as runner-up to MSU in the second.
“I was pretty happy with the results, because I didn’t think we were going to win it,” said Trappers head rodeo coach Del Nose. “We got to the short round and Bozeman made some mistakes; our guys stepped up to the plate.”
The NWC men beat MSU by 10 points, 650 to 640.
Trapper cowboy Caleb McMillan won the Men’s All-Around with a score of 420 points in rodeo No. 1, well ahead of Montana State University-Northern’s Zane Marcenko at 295 points. The sophomore took the top spot in bull riding, second in saddle bronc riding and second in steer wrestling.
“He had a good weekend,” Nose said.
Even in the second rodeo on Sunday, April 15, “where we got our [butts] handed to us, Caleb did it again,” the coach said. McMillan took second in the all-around with 302 points.
As great a performance as he had, McMillan wasn’t the only Trapper with a strong showing in Montana. Dawson Cvancara finished second as a team roping header, Bubba Boots tied for fourth in steer wrestling, Calvin Shaffer tied for fifth in saddle bronc riding and Kyle Smith tied for ninth in bareback riding.
Not a team to accept defeat easily, Montana State bounced back, demonstrating again why the team sits in first place in the regional standings. The Bobcats won the second rodeo easily, scoring 815 points to NWC’s 328.
McMillan took third in saddle bronc, third in bull riding and fourth in steer wrestling to claim runner-up in the all-around.
Marc Dorendorf captured the top spot in bull riding, with Beau Smith finishing fifth. Will Griffel and Boots were second and eighth as tie-down roping headers, with partners Colten Fisher and Matt Williams also finishing second and eighth in team roping-heelers.
Representing the NWC women’s rodeo team, Braily Newman took third in the All-Around in the second rodeo, putting up 63.33 points.
Montana State University competitor Bryce Bott, of Powell, took sixth in team roping in the first rodeo, partnering with teammate Shelby Rasmussen for a time of 7.1 seconds.
The Trappers were in Miles City last weekend, competing at Miles Community College. Results will be in Thursday’s edition of the Powell Tribune.
1. Northwest College 650 points
2. Montana State University 640
3. Montana State University, Northern 415
4. University of Montana, Western 325
5. University of Montana 200
6. Dawson Community College 180
7. University of Providence 105
8. Miles Community College 50
1. Caleb McMillan 420 points
Saddle Bronc Riding
2. Caleb McMillan 103 points, 5. Calvin Shaffer 62
9. Kyle Smith 68 points
1. Caleb McMillan 135 points
2. Caleb McMillan 14.1 seconds, 4. Bubba Boots 24.4
2. Dawson Cvancara (header) and Webb O’Neill (heeler, of Dawson) 24.9 seconds
1. Montana State University 815
2. Northwest College 328
3. University of Montana, Western 297
4. Montana State University, Northern 278
5. Dawson Community College 214
6. Miles Community College 157
7. University of Montana 145
8. University of Providence 82
2. Caleb McMillan 302 points
Saddle Bronc Riding
3. Caleb McMillan 62 points
1. Marc Dorendorf 76 points, 3. Caleb McMillan 66, 5. Beau Smith 25
4. Caleb McMillan 5.8 seconds
2. William Griffel (header) and Colten Fisher (heeler) 7 seconds, 8. Bubba Boots (header) and Matthew Williams (heeler) 11.9
Team Roping Heeler
2. Colten Fisher 7 seconds,
1. University of Montana, Western 375.5 points
2. Montana State University, Northern 328
3. Montana State University 226.00
4. University of Montana 176
5. University of Providence 151.33
6. Northwest College 63.33
3. Braily Newman 63.33 points
8. Braily Newman 3.1 seconds
5. Braily Newman 8.6 seconds