Fire guts vacant Garland house Saturday


A wood stove malfunction is the suspected cause of a fire that gutted an unoccupied home behind the ADM plant in Garland Saturday night.

“We’re pretty certain he had a wood burning stove that was the culprit,” said Asst. Chief Damian Dicks of the Powell Volunteer Fire Department. The house was completely engulfed before the owners realized it.

“There was no saving it,” Dicks said.

No one lived in the house. “They lived in the trailer behind it,” Dicks said. According to MapServer from Park County, the home on Road 4 is owned by Owen and Sally Bennet.

It was used as a hobby and pump house. It had no electricity except an extension cord powering the pump. Firefighters’ immediate concern was protecting the mobile home and garage adjacent to the house from the flames, as well as a propane tank and cottonwood trees nearby, Dicks said.

It was impossible to save the house, but they were able to save the pump, Dicks said.